Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: 9440A amplifier questions

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Cal Weldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2004
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Is this still a good amp by todays standards? It's 30 years old. I used to have an SAE power amp @ 400 wpc. Same general appearance, rack mount, big cooling fans, two channel output etc.
    Would these two compare or is the Altec a better amp?
    What might this be worth these days?
    Will it offer enough to drive my big system?

    Thanks for any input,

    Cal

    Cal's Biggies

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    Properly operating, there is nothing quite as nice sounding as a 9440A.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Cal Weldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2004
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks Todd,

    That's nice to hear, but...

    By properly operating, may I assume there are concerns with this unit?
    Is there a place near Vancouver that you know of to get it checked out?
    Are the parts and accessories needed still readily available?
    Is there a hidden, pricey repair I should be concerned about?

    Thanks again,
    Cal

  4. #4
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Cal,

    By properly operating, I mean just that - when they are performing to "spec", they sound incredible! Due to their age, though, they need a good going through. I am not personally aware of any "hidden" repairs that are excruciatingly expensive to fix.

    The only person that I know who can fix these properly is Ira @ IraTec Pro Audio Repair in OKC. He was with Altec for many years, and has not only the know-how but the PARTS to fix them!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.